“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. Remain in me, as I remain in you. It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you to go and bear fruit that will remain” (John 15: 1,16).
“The charism of Religious Life is the fruit of the Holy Spirit, who is always at work within the Church.”
Perfectae Caritatis, no. 11.
Diocese of Fall River – The Office for Religious –
- The Office for Religious serves as liaison between the Bishop and the Religious in the Diocese.
It serves as liaison between the local parishes and the religious.
- The Office provides pastoral services to religious and consecrated persons who live and serve in the Diocese of Fall River.
- It affirms the contribution which religious life offers to the Church in the Diocese and supports the spiritual development of religious within the Diocese. The Office is a vehicle for communication connecting the various charisms of consecrated life with the needs of the Church.
- The Office also works in initiating and sustaining collegial relationships among laity, members of consecrated life and the clergy, actively promoting a culture of vocations for the good of the total local Church.
- In conjunction with the Vocations Office, it fosters the awareness of the Call of God for each person, as primarily a call to holiness and happiness in the service of others, in the family setting, in society and in the Church. It encourages and supports the creation of Parish Vocation Committees where the whole Community can be invited to sustain and strengthen each one’s call through prayer, hospitality and the affirmation of God’s gifts.
Services Provided by the Office for Religious Include:
- Maintaining the database for religious
- Pastoral presence for religious and others in Consecrated Life
- Planning of events: Jubilee Celebration for Religious, the Day of Consecrated Life with the presence of the Bishop at these gatherings and planning for meetings of Religious Leadership according to the Bishop’s convocation.
- Collaboration with other agencies/departments in matters regarding Consecrated Life.
- Information, advice and referrals according to diocesan policies, canonical issues, housing, networking, ministry, vocations and formation resources.
- Coordination of the Annual Retirement Fund for Religious Appeal throughout the diocese.
- Maintaining contact with the clergy and other diocesan offices in order to effect collaboration between clergy and religious in ministry.
Sr. Paulina Hurtado, O.P., is the Episcopal Representative for Religious.
She may be reached by telephone at 508-675-1311 or by e-mail: Sr.Paulina@dioc-fr.org